Saturday 30 August 2014

My Challenge

So, it seems I have signed up for a ...ahem... hilly coast path marathon.  People's responses to this seem to vary, depending on whether they are a runner or a non-runner, trail runner or road runner and finally whether they know me or REALLY know me.
 
Firstly, runner or non-runner:  On informing my non-running friends that I plan on running 26.2 miles, along the Cornish coast path, in October, the general response seems to be "WHY???" (we'll get into my reasons later).  They usually also shudder, tell me I am mad or immediately offer me cake because I'll "run it off".  Runners on the other hand, seem to respond with some variation of "okay..." plus comment appropriate to which ever other categories they fit into above.
 
Next on the Response Flow Chart (I love a good flow chart, me) we have trail runner or road runner:  If I tell a trail runner (especially one with Mud Crew-type letters after their name) what I'm doing, I tend to get patted on the head and reminded that not only have I signed up for all their ridiculousness, I have also chosen a stretch of coast which is pretty much all uphill.  I don't mind this response.  I am aware that for the majority of trail running ultra-y people, 26.2 miles is what they do before their Weetabix in the morning.  I am also aware that in my naïve enthusiasm of wanting a photo of me looking awesome under the Land's End signpost when I finish, I have signed up for a properly shitty bit of coast path running.  Oh well.  On the other hand, when I mention to a road runner what I am doing, their response is more "...".  All the colour drains out of their face and they get a vacant look in their eyes as they attempt to fathom mile splits, PB potential and how the hell I am going to increase my weekly mileage by a maximum of 10% per week when I only have six weeks to go until the race.  I see their point.  If I'm honest, this is what my tiny brain is currently contending with too.
 
The final factor in people's response to my questionable decision making is whether the person knows me or REALLY knows me:  At first glance I suppose my choice of challenge seems reasonable.  I like running.  I like the coast.  I like to have something to endlessly and anxiously harp on about.  Why wouldn't I do something I enjoy whilst raising money for a really worthwhile cause.  If you REALLY know me however, you will pick up on a problem.  I'm a bit lazy.  And easily distracted.  So easily distracted in fact that it has taken me a good hour to do this much writing.  There's just so much other interesting stuff happening.  So while I honestly, genuinely and completely want to train hard and do well in this run, there is always the chance that something good will be on telly, or that I will spend half an hour staring at an interestingly shaped leaf on my doorstep and forget to go running.  I should probably be running now, to be honest.
 
I've made a decision though, this time.  And this decision is largely based on the reasons WHY I am doing this run:
 
Reason 1)  I am raising money for a cause which I really believe in.  You can read more about the Freedom Runner Project here: http://www.freedomrunners.org/ or on my fundraising page here: http://fnd.us/c/2qqa1/sh/23hoN6 but in a nutshell it is a social enterprise designed to employ women in rural South Africa to make reusable, inexpensive sanitary items for school girls.  In South Africa, one in three teenage girls are unable to attend school when they are on their period, simply because they can't afford sanitary products.  This means they miss around five days of school per month and, unsurprisingly, end up dropping out because they fall behind.  That is insane.  There is no excuse for that being allowed to happen anywhere, ever.

Reason 2)  Life is difficult for me at the moment.  I am struggling A LOT with varying severities of anxiety and depression which, in conjunction with a dose of citalopram which would knock out an elephant, can make even getting out of bed and not acting like a crazy person a real struggle.  A wise internet meme once said that the cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears and the sea.  I've chosen a challenge which will give me a good dose of all three. 

Between exercise, medication and my lovely, supportive friends and family, I am going to get better.  I am going to use this amazing cause to find my muchness.  And also as an excuse to buy some funky kit.  And possibly a new pair of trail shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm REALLY looking forward to beasting you ...sorry training with you on the coast path my precious,,mwahahahaha

    ReplyDelete